Purpose & Values
EMBS Community College
The EMBS Community College is a not for profit limited company established in 1988 with the aim to improve the economic situation of ethnic minority communities in Oxfordshire through skills enhancement and developing locally owned businesses.
EMBS now provides education, training and careers advice for the whole community; delivering services for young people (aged 16 and above) and adults in two centres in Banbury and Oxford and in other community centres. It is well known for actively reaching out to local minority ethnic communities and working successfully with a range of partners including Jobcentre Plus.
It is funded through a range of national funding bodies such as Education Funding Agency, National Careers Service and European Integration Fund and locally through Oxford Adult Learning (Abingdon & Witney College), City of Oxford College , Oxford Brookes University and Buckinghamshire County Council.
EMBS provides courses for over 1000 learners each year and supports them to find employment or progress to college or university.
EMBS offers a variety of courses and services including:
ACE (sixth form programme)
ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
Functional Skills (English and Maths)
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Computing including ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence)
A range of leisure learning programmes
Information, advice and guidance through its National Careers Service.
EMBS was awarded LSIS Beacon status in 2010 and has achieved the following quality standards: Ofsted: Good (2017), Investors in People (2011), Matrix (2012) and ISO 9001 (2013) and has been approved by the Joint Council for Qualification, OCR (Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations), BCS (British Computing Society).
‘Delivering Skills – Changing Lives’
Statement of Purpose
To provide aspirational learning and employability services to learners to overcome challenges and improve lives.
- Enhance learners’ English, Maths and Business Skills through delivering educational, careers and employability services.
- Meet and exceed the needs of learners and partners through quality services.
- Build links with the whole community and a range of partners focusing on socially excluded groups including BAME (Black, Asian Minority Ethnic) and learners from disadvantaged communities.
- Succeed in educational and employment outcomes through building confidence, raising aspirations and achieving qualifications.
Our Values are:
- To acknowledge diversity and engage and support people from all backgrounds to achieve their potential.
- To treat people with empathy and fairness; valuing everyone by placing trust in their skills and experience.
- Working together in an honest and sincere way, striving to deliver what we say.
- By working together, we are dedicated to overcoming challenges and obstacles to deliver on excellent service and achieve outstanding results.